Did you know that 50% of vision loss and 80% of blindness is avoidable through prevention or treatment? It’s important to undergo eye checks at least once a year. Ruahan Naude from Dynamic Vision advises that you urgently see an optometrist when you experience any eye pain and bulging. Many eye diseases and conditions don’t have obvious signs or symptoms, especially in the early stages. By Grace Mantjiu
Here are 6 tips for good eye health to help you take better care of your eyes:
1. Limit screen time. Spending too much time in front of your laptop or smartphone causes digital eye strain. The symptoms including headache, burning eyes, blurred vision and disrupted sleep. Severe eye strain can lead to permanent vision problems.
SEE ALSO: The do’s and don’ts of eye cream
2. Get enough sleep. lack of sleep can lead to eye strain and fatigue.
3. Don’t rub your eyes. rubbing them too hard can break the blood vessels under the eyelids. It can also lead to keratoconus, the thinning and reshaping of the cornea, which causes a progressive loss of vision.
SEE ALSO: 6 alternative beauty products to use on your eyes
4. Wear sunglasses. overexposure to the harmful sun rays can lead to photokeratitis which is sunburn of the front surface of the eye, macular degeneration, cataracts, unsightly growths on your eye’s conjunctiva and cancer of the eyelid.
5. Use proper lighting. working or reading in dim light makes it difficult for your eyes to focus and leads to eye fatigue, dryness, redness, pain and headaches.
SEE ALSO: 3 eyeliner mistakes you’re making
6. Don’t sleep with contact lenses. leaving your contact lenses in your eyes while sleeping increases your chances of getting an infection. And, it can also lead to permanent damage.
The post 6 tips for good eye health appeared first on Bona Magazine.