Make sure you’ve considered a few practical things before cutting your hair short and avoid any unwelcome surprises.
After plenty (and we mean seriously plenty) of hours going back and forth, as well as countless time browsing Google images, you’ve finally decided to take the plunge and go for the big chop. Yip, you’re going to be cutting your hair short – maybe even super-short – and you’ve finally been brave enough to book the appointment.
Now, we’re not here to scare you or to try talk you out of your decision; in fact, we’re all for a drastic hair make-over and think it’ll look awesome, but we just want to make sure you’ve considered a few things before cutting your hair short… Trust us, you’ll soon be thanking us if you hadn’t!
1. Think about the shape of your face…but don’t overthink it. Yes, you want your cut to be flattering for the shape of your face, so search for images of people with similar face shapes to yours and chat to your stylist about what will suit you best. But don’t get bogged down by this: your stylist should be able to advise on how to make a style you love work just for you.
2. Consider the texture of your hair. Your hairstylist should be all over this one, but it is worth having a conversation about the texture of your hair before the scissors come out and the chopping begins. All textures will work with a short style, but straight, fine hair requires a different approach to coarse, curly hair, and you need to be sure that the picture you’ve walked into your salon with (yes, we know you’ve got one at the very least!) will work with your actual hair.
SEE ALSO: 4 hairstyles for short hair
3. Short doesn’t always equal low maintenance.If the sole purpose of your cut is to save you time in the morning, you need to be sure that the style you’ve selected allows this. While many shorter cuts are a lot easier to style and work with, not all of them are of the ‘wash-and-go’ variety, and still require some effort and styling.
Chat to your hairdresser about your needs, lifestyle and what exactly you want from your cut to make sure that’s what you get.
4. It will feel weird! If you’ve always had long hair, it’s going to feel incredibly strange for a good week or so. You’re going to feel like your neck is bare and that something is missing, and washing your hair will be a whole new experience. You’re probably also going to have a mild panic attack when you stare at yourself in the mirror, but know that you will quickly get used to – and love – your new look.
SEE ALSO: Celebs rock short hair for summer
5. It’s not permanent. Remember that, at the end of the day, your hair will continue to grow and you can always opt to grow your hair
Well, you’ve got everything covered now… what are you waiting for?!
The post 5 Things to think about before cutting your hair short appeared first on All4Women.
The post 5 things to think about before cutting your hair short appeared first on Bona Magazine.